What's New: December 2020
It's been quite a year...
Anxiety? Check. Upheaval? Check. Figuring out new ways to work and communicate because of a worldwide pandemic? Also, check.
OkCupid, like so many other companies, has had to adapt to new ways of working, talking to each other, and thinking about the world at large. To that end, we've put our efforts into making our site cooler and more functional to help all of our members make meaningful connections. Whether you're looking for a soul mate, a socially distant walk in the park, or just want to chat about running out of bad tv to stream, we're here for you and want to make your experience as enjoyable as possible. Here are some of those recent changes:
You want hard filters, and we heard you. With Dealbreakers, our paid members can set hard filters for things like distance, religion, age, relationship type, and anything else that might be important when matching. We'll only show you members who match what you're looking for.*
Have you ever considered browsing matches around the world? Now you can look without changing your location or leaving your couch! The Passport Stack will show you matches who are open to chatting with and potentially meeting members located anywhere in the world. If you're looking to brush up on your French or hear about what post-COVID life is like in New Zealand, check this Stack.
Matches + Conversations = Messages
We've made connecting with your matches more intuitive! We've introduced Messages to everyone using the iOS and Android apps, and mobile web. Messages will show everyone you've matched with, highlight new matches, and remind you that it's your turn if you haven't responded after more than seven days. You also have the option of Reporting or Unmatching from this page, but we hope you won't need to use those options.
RIP A-List. You're gone but not forgotten. We have new memberships with new names, but they look a little different.
Our OkCupid Basic membership now includes:
- The ability to Like an unlimited number of profiles - no more waiting for your Likes to reset!
- Dealbreakers - tell us what's important to you, and we'll only show you members who fit those criteria.
- Unlock Intros - overwhelmed with Intros? Tired of having to sift through them one at a time? Basic unlocks them all!
- No outside ads - who doesn't want an ad-free experience?
OkCupid Premium includes all of the Basic features, plus:
- Who Likes You - see the full list of members who've Liked you.
- Question answers - you'll see the answers to all of your matches' public questions, even if you haven't answered the question yet!
Members with active A-list memberships aren't losing the old features; they'll stay active for as long as the subscription is active, even though the name is changing to reflect the new memberships. Don't let the removal of the term "A-list" scare you!
Once those subscriptions are canceled and the memberships lapse, for whatever reason, the old membership features will be lost and gone forever. Purchasing a new membership won't bring back the old features.
* Dealbreaker disclaimer: if someone doesn't fill out the sections that you've included as Dealbreakers, you'll still see their profiles. We don't remove members who've opted not to share every aspect of their life, but they may still be a match for you!
- The latest version of our iOS App is 48.1.0
- The latest version of our Android App is 48.0.0
⭐️ We are currently only supporting Android app versions 37.3.1 and higher.
The team at OkCupid wishes you and yours a very happy, healthy, and safe holiday season! ❄️ ☃️ 🍾 🥂
- Wondering how to date while social distancing? Check out our guide to virtual dating.
- We wrote a blog post about the changes we've been seeing on OkCupid. Check it out: Love in the Time of Corona: Massive Spikes in Matching, Messaging and Virtual Dates Around the World
Authored by Teresa Beard, Senior Customer Experience Analyst